Hi gang,

I listen to all of these, and here are my comparisons:

Pandora - My favorite, but it has some quirks. It has a huge supply of
artists and generally creates a nice station from a suggestion. Here
are the quirks though:
- Limited supply of music per station. Once I get it tuned if I listen
to a station a lot I get a lot of repeats.
- Prioritizes era over similarity. For example, when I seed "Neil
Young" I get a ton of 1970's artists such as Jimi and The Who by
default. This is crazy and wrong - I want music that sounds like Neil
Young, not music on the radio at the time his biggest hits were
popular. He has had about 20 albums since then. This is a major failing
of Pandora and contrary to their story.
- A Jack Johnson seed creates a station filled with improvisational
jazz, even after killing every instance of it. When I want Chick Corea,
I'll create a station for him.

Slacker - As broad coverage as Pandora, and it creates very different
stations from the same seeds. It doesn't have the era bug and the
variety is broader and I'm listening to Slacker more and more.
The downside - it has audio ads in the stream. They are often mixed to
be louder than the music and it's disturbing. I'd listen more to it if
they just mixed down the volume of the ads.

Last.FM - I listen occasionally but when I do it's great. I have the
free account so I only listen to the "Recommended" station but it's
usually quite good, better than the Quickmix on Pandora. I scrobble
both iTunes and my iPods, and Squeezecenter so it knows me pretty
well.

Genius - When I'm listening to iTunes I usually use Genius instead of
Party Shuffle now. It has the same era bug as Pandora - when I select
any classic rock song I only get classic rock suggested, but it's often
much better than that. It's good for a more eclectic mix when using
non-classic rock songs.

I never got MusicIP to work.

How do others feel?

--