Old Mac Minis are  fine for SC, although I admit that the response to
iPeng is slow on mine. I run it on an early-ish one one not much
faster than your current G3 (the 800MHz version, to be precise),
under OSX 10.4.11 and  it can take 10 or 15 seconds for sound to
reach the speakers after poking "play". Sometimes it feels as though
the music flows along the cables like cool lava... Otherwise there's
only a problem if the Mini is running something else that hogs
processor/storage, which wouldn't arise in your case, or else my
neighbour uses the microwave. No stuttering otherwise, using a
bridged ethernet/Airport Extreme (g) connection.

Anyway, one of the later, faster PPC versions seems much easier than
re-jigging your whole set-up.....although even the cheaper of the new
Minis would probably work blast the bits out like a pyroclastic
flow.....

Geraint.