Something else to consider is that presumably, in some of these cases,
the work would eventually be done 'in-house' anyway. So by contributing
to a distributed project, you might be helping to prevent the
procurement (and therefore manufacturing) of many new 'in-house' servers
- thus making a significant net resource/energy saving.

Additionally, for the likes of fold...@home, there are further
significant moral and practical considerations - the energy/resources
saved if we could prevent or cure conditions such as Alzheimer's
disease, cystic fibrosis, cancer, etc would be immense, and would surely
dwarf the computing power used by the distributed clients. And the
ethical justification for contributing to potentially life-saving
research is obviously quite strong.

Personally, I wasn't running such a client before coming across this
thread, but will now give fold...@home a try, so thanks.

PS - as someone speculated earlier in the thread, I am one of those
people using an old, comparitively inefficient box as a server. Is there
any kind of consensus on whether it's more environmentally friendly to
buy a new 'green' machine and trash the old one, or to keep the old one
going while it still works? I've been suspecting the latter, but not
really sure. Thanks.

--
oktup