For anyone else reading this thread, who has similarly experienced a
dead remote...

Bas from Logitech has to be applauded for picking-up on my predicament
on this forum.

He offered alternative solutions to my problem. This was very much
appreciated.

He's also sorted out my log-in problems on the Logitech website.

Overall, this has been an excellent customer experience from Logitech.

In the end, I didn't take up Bas' kind offer - as AMP3 in Edinburgh
exchanged my dead remote within 7 working days (without having to ship
the entire Squeezebox back to the retailer). They also refunded my
insured postage costs.

--
spinaltap

My Mac can go all the way to XI