The MX-500 is, as others here have said, an excellent remote.  The hard
buttons are laid out and labelled appropriately for everything from a
cable box with PVR capability to a DVD player to a TV to a Squeezebox;
and the controls that don't naturally map to a hard-labelled button can
go nicely in the custom button area on top.

Plus, macros, which are great at allowing me to easily switch sources
in my otherwise unwieldly setup (which might normally require three
devices to change inputs).  Plus, it's easy to set up, being sensibly
pre-programmed for a variety of devices and with fairly intuitive menus
(and an excellent manual) for doing learning, label editing, and macros.
Plus, it's got a nice backlight.  Plus, it's an attractive unit with
good feel (the unit itself has the same powder-black finish as the
black Squeezebox; the buttons are a glossy hard finish that depress
satisfyingly).

It's really an excellent remote, and it seems to be intermittently
possible to find it for under $100, which is a steal.

--
mkozlows