Declan Moriarty;436678 Wrote:
> One problem why dynamic IP Addresses can possibly be difficult using the
> SqueezeBox products is that SqueezeBox doesn't use DNS!  I have 2 PC's.
> Both have different computer names.  I refer to them using the names not
> the IP Addresses.  My firewall uses the name of my 2nd PC NOT its IP
> address.  The squeezeBox uses the IP Address since it dowsn't appear to
> have a DNS entry!  There is a player name in SqueezeCenter but this is
> only in SqueezeCenter and not the DNS!  Considering people have
> connectivity issues with Duets/Controllers this seems to be a major
> design oversight.
>
> No wonder people are using static IP's - they have no choice!

This isn't correct. The SB device name is defined inside Squeezecenter,
not in the SB device itself. Therefore, when the player first asks for
an IP address from the DHCP server (within the router or elsewhere), it
has no name yet, only a numeric MAC address - so the assigned  - via
DHCP - IP address is what displays in the router DHCP table initially.
You will see the player name in the router DHCP table if the lease
renews or reconnection occurs (because now the machine name is known amd
passed in the DHCP request from SB device to router).

Machine/device names are always optional for this very reason. It is
the MAC address that defines physical uniqueness for IP assignment in
the first instance.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom