Labarum;439587 Wrote:
> And the high frequency cut off needed to accommodate the stereo coding?
>
> (Mind you, I suffer from high frequency deafness. Left ear -40dB at 9
> KHz!)

FM Stereo has always been limited in practice to 15kHz as you know :-)
Sounds very nice - like an LP thats been played a few times... I'm
always more concerned with the mid-range (where the magic is)!

As for the infamous compression... I don't listen to local radio or
Radio 1, 2 is compressed but not in a disastrous way, 3 is fine as is
4.

The fact that the BBC uses a 13-bit digital protocol to get signal to
its transmitters is a "bit" misleading :-)

The NICAM method of companding effectively  gives it more like a 14/15
bit range - just like those early top-end CD players. With a good
aerial, SNR should be 60-65 dB - same as good, new vinyl or top-end
cassette.

Anyway, regardless of the technology, the actual "sound" of a live
concert can be entrancing at times on 3. To me that just reinforces the
view that there's more to enjoyment than dynamic range, SNR, freq
response etc.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom