While I have no objection to making improvements, establishing standards
and consistency, I am concerned that this major upgrade has been
released with essentially no corresponding updates to the documentation
that is available for users on the Wiki or the Logitech support site. I
have a SlimDevices-labeled, original SqueezeBox and the documentation
for it provided on-line by Logitech still refers to SlimServer, etc. The
Wiki only references SqueezeCenter. I implement IT systems for a living
and my clients are *not* interested in having a new system installed
without getting documentation and training *before* it happens.

Considering that it takes the better part of a day to do a full rescan
of my music library (~110,000 songs, ~8500 albums, ~1,900 artists with
individual albums), and that I (finally!) got SqueezeCenter to organize
artists/compilations in an acceptable manner, I am not inclined to
simply take it on faith that Logitech has truly "improved" the software
that currently does *exactly* what I want it to do.

Will my favorite plug-ins still work? I use Super Date Time, Lyrics,
Biography, and Album Review all the time. I can't see any indication
that the new version has been tested with them, which essentially means
that users are going to have to do so and report back to the community.
Often, for major commercial software releases, a beta testing period is
publicly announced, add-on developers participate, interested users do
some voluntary testing and the results are reported in advance of the
final release. Given that this release is *required* in order to use the
full functionality of the hardware, software, and remote resources, that
approach would have been appropriate.

This is, to my recollection, the first release that is truly a complete
departure functionally from its predecessor and I've been using this
product since SlimServer 6.x. Which is not to say that the transition
from 6.5 to 7.x was painless. It wasn't until release 7.2 that I was
able to get a clean install to complete. Previous releases crashed and
burned badly and I spent many hours reverting back to 6.5.

So, since the only SqueezeNetwork resource I really use is the Live
Music Archive, and anything I find there that I really like I download
as FLAC and play locally, I think I will wait a while (maybe a long
while) to see what happens with the next few iterations of the new
implementation.

--
get.amped