TheLastMan;465837 Wrote:
> Which is why there is so much effort in the SB community put into
> running SC/SBS on Network Attached Storage devices.  Heck, people are
> even running it on intelligent wall warts now!
> My NAS consumes about 5w in standby mode, and 18w serving music.  That
> is about the same as one low energy lightbulb.  It means that I can keep
> 7.3.3 - which works just fine for me.
> I think 7.3.3 was the last iteration of software designed specifically
> for the Duet / Boom / SB3 / Transporter line.  Logitech have moved on
> with their product line and good luck to them.  But if you don't want to
> get dragged along with them, and forced to accept software and firmware
> more appropriate to their new touch screen devices, then you will need
> to have a server on 24/7 - and for most, that means a NAS.

Thought I'd pop back in here now that someone's mentioned keeping their
server on 24/7.

So, what's an NAS when it's at home? Er, an external disk drive sitting
on the network, is it? And what's a server - a computer on the network?
(Note to all - these are not rhetorical questions.)

I keep my computer on all the time because, well, that's what I do. And
my computer has all my music on it. And my computer links to the
internet. So I don't use Squeezenetwork, or whatever it's called this
week. So I don't have to upgrade. Is that all correct, chaps?

--
whitman