rrweather;476238 Wrote:

> So, in plain language, does adding a dual band router improve the
> speed, coverage, or data transfer capabilities for devices that use only
> G?

MIMO (not dualband) increases the effective range, which in turn
increases the speed in problematic situations.  If you live in the
country, away from noisy wifi/microwave/etc and have a router 10' from
wireless devices, it would do nothing... but if you're on a hairy edge,
it can make an iffy network feasible.

> In my situation, since everything I own is G, is there something to
> gain by purchasing and installing a dual band router? I am definitely
> not an expert in this subject so I am open to suggestions. I just
> thought the dual band router would only help me if I had N devices to
> run on it.

You're confusing the two things.

DualBand is "I can work at 2 and 5G ranges..."

MIMO is "I have more clever antennas and get better signal strength
from them".

http://www.networkworld.com/net.worker/news/2005/032805netlead.html

Some testing with 802.11g products and MIMO antennas.

Even on G-only networks, MIMO improves the signal.

--
snarlydwarf