Thank you for the thoughtful responses, Funkstar, but I was definitely
a member of both lists, (and posts will still be in the archives
somewhere, I expect); I am still getting eight "membership reminder"
emails for this list a month; and I can log in to my forum account in
order to change options (email alert types, passwords and all the
rest). So I'm not sure that I understand how your suggestion can
apply. Perhaps that's me being particularly dense.