Mnyb wrote:
> But it is doing 24/48 right ?

I have no idea. I've never looked at Sox

> btw should you not use dithering of some kind when going 24>16 ?
> truncation is simple but i think they use more finesse these days .

If you care about sound quality, you should always use a dithering
algorithm when truncating. Its trivial as well, just add an eight bit
random number to the 24 bit value, and then shift right.

There are better algorithms, but in an embedded system, adding is nearly
as trivial as shifting.

Again, I don't know what Sox is doing. Proper conversion from 96 to 44.1
is more complex, but there is a chance that the Classic/SB3 can process
48kHz natively. So there is no need to bother going to 44.1

Obviously if you are doing FFTs to try to use digital transformation,
then you will use a ton of CPU power

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/