BlueScreenJunky;514829 Wrote:
> +1
> I might switch to android in a few weeks/months when the nexus one is
> released here in France, and if I do that will probably be one of the
> first apps I'll buy (actually the ability to control my SBs is even one
> of the reasons I'm considering buying an android device)
>
> I have a few questions though :
> -Could someone please make a video of this app, to see how responsive
> it is ?
> -How does it affect battery life ? does it need to have a wifi
> connection enabled at all times or does it go to "sleep mode" when
> you're not using it ?

For now, SqueezeCommander uses caching for images only. The browse
lists (artist/album/... browse) are not cached on startup, yet.
I've planning to implement this feature, though:

http://www.squeezecommander.com/trac/ticket/49

Nevertheless, browsing your library in SqueezeCommander is pretty fast,
because it uses an incremental data transfer. So only the needed parts
are fetched from the server.

BTW: A video is a good idea. I'll try to create one after the next
release (because the next release will include an improved GUI with
better list layout).

By default, SqueezeCommander does not interfere with the sleep mode of
your Android device. I.e. your devices falls asleep after 30 seconds or
so and the screen is switched off. In this case, SqueezeCommander does
not query your server anymore, until you reactivate your device and it
should not affect battery life.

SqueezeCommander has an option to keep your screen on. If you activate
this feature, and SqueezeCommander is the foreground app, the screen is
only dimmed but not switched off. In this case, SqueezeCommander will
also keep polling the server for status updates. This will significantly
reduce the battery life, but some users (like me :) ) find it more
convenient.

In any case, if SqueezeCommander is not the foreground app (e.g. if you
press the home button), it will stop all network activity.
(Ok, the only exception are downloads: If you start a download from the
server to your phone, this will continue to run in background, even if
SqueezeCommander itself is not active anymore)

--
flattermann

Home of 'SqueezeCommander' (http://www.squeezecommander.com) - The
SqueezeBox Remote Control App for Android