It seems many folk still rate the old Linksys WRT54GL, perhaps with
third-party firmware (Tomato etc.).  Does it have a strong wireless
signal or could I still be in for a range expander which itself could
melt under the streaming load?

Is it best to partner it with a "proper" Linksys modem like the old
AG241 gateway perhaps or will my freebee (with the ADSL account) modem
be perfectly OK?

Any views on the WRT54GL versus Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 which is supposed to
have a really good wireless range?

This is the potentially weak link in the entire Squeezebox network
"-chez moi-" so I'm keen to get it right before I add any more wireless
clients.

Thank you and good night.

--
GRC

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it ...-
And if it matters ...
Elderly Sony Vaio + WD Passport + iTunes (Apple Lossless)
SlimP3 (woo-hoo!)+ SB Classic / CA DacMagic + SB Boom + SB Controller
Naim CDX/XPS + NAC52/Supercap + NAP135s + Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkIIs
Linn LP12 & some other stuff