JerryS;575319 Wrote:
> I think I agree with that view.  My intention was to donate my CDs to a
> charity shop after I had ripped them.  Thinking about this further
> however, if someone buys them in the charity shop at a discounted rate,
> they will not be buying them from the record company, and therefore the
> artists will not be receiving their royalty payments.  So, I am giving
> someone else's money to charity without their permission.  Interesting
> dilemna isn't it?

It is an odd proposition.  I wholeheartedy am against copyright theft -
I work in publishing and IP is at the heart of our business - I struggle
to stop my 13 yearold daughter downloading films, or watching US
programmes before they are released here ...

However my fine upstanding model citizen mother, when I explained the
concept of my Squeezeboxes to her, and showed her my CDs all neatly
stacjed in a cupboard out of the reach of children (see here for why :)
http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10278&d=1279029857)
immediately suggested that I give them to a charity shop, and throught
my explanation of the reasoning why not was rubbish ...

At some point our copyright laws and/ or music distribution needs to
catch up with current usage.  I buy physical CDs (often second hand) as
it is the most efficient way to get high bit rate music... but I don't
necessarily want to buy things that I rip once then need to archive,
which itself is legally dubious ...

--
JonWill

Main system: SB Classic, Musical Fidlity A1, Mission 733i speakers
SB Classic into old JVC microsystem (next thing on list to upgrade!)
SB Boom, Logitech Z4 subwoofer
SB Radio
SB Server 7.5.1 (SSODS4) running on a Synology DS210J NAS
iPeng on iPhone 3GS