sebp;616378 Wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> I had another challenging session last sunday, and I surprisingly had
> the impression I could hear some differences this time.
> I couldn't really tell I heard anything missing from the CD version,
> but the HD file just sounded better to my ears.
>
> As I don't trust them, I used Audacity's spectrum analyser with both
> files, and looking at average gain values for some frequencies, they
> always appeared to be a bit louder in the HD Version than in the CD
> version.
> If you look at the screenshots, you'll see it's 4 dB louder for 100 Hz,
> for example (-32dB is for the HD file, -36dB is for the CD file).
>
> I then computed replaygains using foobar2000, and got -6.40dB for the
> CD version and -6.02dB for the HD version.
>
> So, downsampling 24/96 to 16/44.1 with SoX seems to lower the average
> gain of the 16/44.1 version a little bit.
>
> Is an average 0.38dB volume difference sufficient to be heard?
> I can't tell for sure, but thought it would be worth mentioning...

Hi.
Whether or not you can hear a 0.38dB difference is highly debatable -
in my experience such things are barely audible... when mixing down, a
0.5dB lift/cut is barely noticeable and more often than not a 1-1.5dB
change is requird o register as "different". Obviously this varies
slightly from person to person.

In this comparison, how were the 2 versions created? - using SOX to
downsample? - taking HD and CD versions from a commercial release
doesn't work as there is no way of knowing how the masters were
created.

By the way, the Audacity frequency spectrum analysis is highly suspect
- it isn't accurate...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF
x-dacv3/x-10/x-psu(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner,
Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber 8TC Speaker &
Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.