I seemed to have resolved this problem. I deleted the folder containing
the last entry in the log before the music scan terminated which was :

"Slim::Utils::Scanner::scanDirectory (333) Scanning: F:\My Documents\My
Music\Music\Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers\Greatest Hits\Breakdown.flac"

I also ticked the "use iTunes" box which I had previously unticked
because the scan wasn't picking up FLAC or WMA files types. I then ran
a full scan and all songs, artwork and playlists loaded in one scan
which hasn't happend for months.

Strangely, the "use iTunes" box is now unticked again (not by me) but
I'm really not bothered as my full library is now available and
everything is now working.

--
technojunkie