andyman99;627232 Wrote:

> One of of my concerns has been that the enthusiast developers of the
> existing apps might at some point lose interest / move on to other
> things for one reason or another.

I really don't like to say this but to be honest I think people should
be a lot more worried that Logitech will move on to other things than
third party developers moving on, more or less Logitech has had focus
on other products during the last 2-3 years. The main reason third
party developers move away is because they feel that Logitech aren't
putting enough resources into maintaining the core of their system
(MySB and SBS) and also not focusing on keeping the API's stable/good.
As mentioned previously, the Logitech app can hopefully at least
contribute in keeping the API's more stable as changing them now will
cause problems for Logitech too.

I've no problem with Logitech providing a free app, what I do have
problem with is how they do it. They could have provided a free app a
lot cheaper and better by just collaborating with existing third party
developers and then they would still have resources left to improve the
core in their system (MySB and SBS). If Logitech don't want to spend
much resources on the products it's really important that they do spend
the small amount of time they are willing to spend on the core which
will affect everything else and not on extras (like the Android and iOS
apps and Facebook integration).

I really hope Logitech at least plans to maintain and improve its iOS
app so this isn't just a marketing trick to have a free app and they
now focus on something else when it has been released. It would be a
pity if maintenance of the Logitech app slowed down to the same speed
as the progress we have seen on the server side during the last 2-3
years. It would be even worse if it results in that even less resources
than today is spent on the core (SBS and MySB). If you look at more or
less every third party offering around the Squeezebox you will see that
they have had more releases and more feature additions than any of the
Logitech provided stuff. The part where Logitech have done their main
contributions is around speed and stability of the core and music
services offered through MySB, this is stuff which no one else can do
better than Logitech and due to this it's also the area where they
should focus their resources. The problem is that they can't do that
unless they collaborate with third party developers for the extras,
because it's the extras like a Facebook logo or App Store/Android
Market logo on the box that makes it easier to sell their products.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))