Why use Windows to partition / format?
On the Mac, disk utility will do the same and you can use the Mac OS
Extended format which is recommended.

If you remove the drive from its USB shell and mount it on a computer
via SATA or eSATA you should be able to access its RAID status and see
if there is indeed a problem with the drive.

Other than having the drive work every 15 minutes I don't think TM is
overly stressful.
(My TM volume is an ext2 disk image file loop-mounted in a server,
exported via NFS, reexported as a TM volume by a Linux VM running
Netatalk... And it works nicely.)

--
epoch1970

Daily dose delivered by: 3 SB Classic, 1 SB Boom • iPeng (iPhone + iPad)
• SqueezeCenter 7.4.2 (Debian 5.0)  with plugins: MusicIP • Server Power
Control by Gordon Harris •  WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • IRBlaster by
Gwendesign (Felix) • Find cover art by bpa • BBC iPlayer, SwitchPlayer
by Triode • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • TrackStat, Song Info, Song
Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter
Watkins.