Thanks for the replies.

epoch1970;643038 Wrote:
> Why use Windows to partition / format?
I did this because my daughter told me the Mac couldn't use the disk so
I tried to recover it with the equipment I had available.

However, things have moved on a bit. I finally found this article:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1550

The symptoms described seem to match my daughter's problems. I used my
daughter's Macbook to reinitialise the disk with the GUID partition
scheme and so far it seems to be OK.

Given that this is a known issue, I'm a little surprised that Time
Machine doesn't check if the disk uses MBR partition types and issue a
warning.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A