This may be age old info for most forum members (don't read further).

The n.n.*x* beta as in for example 7.6.1 is usually the safe bugfix
beta, or has been historically (this seems to crumble a bit lately).

The n.x.(x) beta is very experimental and may not work at all in
periods (here be dragons ) as is in 7.7 at the moment .

This is how it used to work, hopefully they try to keep this
distinction.

as it usually makes .1 release a better choice than the .0 release the
.0 is historically the worst .

As soon as 7.6.1 is release, their will be 7.6.2 beta for further safe
bugfixes and possibly 7.6.3 or more versions until a decision to
release something from 7.7 comes around.

They usually want to surprise us with a new service or function with
each new .0 release and they have deadlines so a bunch of very late
additions goes to the .0 release with little time to test ?
So this desire for a positive new feature can backfire.

The messy part is the mysqueezebox.com interaction which i try to avoid
by using my own server, they simply don't have resources to support
several different version on mysb.com.

I think it would be technically possible to let mysb.com run different
versions depending on player fw at least for example from 7.5.0 and
forward, but it would require more people to maintain .

I have an uneasy feeling that the servers are maintained  by the same 2
devs we see here on the forum ? They may rent the actual hardware and
connection to the internet from data-centers ,but still the software
must be maintained.
Just as they are running the build servers for the software too ?

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad