pippin;649606 Wrote:
> You did not understand SSL ;)
>
> I agree the solution isn't really secure but SSL doesn't make any sense
> in this context.
> SSL is host-based so every user would have to get and install his or
> her own certificate and I'm not even sure that would work over dyndns.
>
> It's OK to keep neighbors from controlling your music, it will not help
> against hackers but SSL would not be any help here either.
>
> VPN tunneling helps.
>

> Why should port 3483 be password protected? It's only outbound anyway
> except for UDP server discovery which - by principle - can't be
> password protected.
>
> OK, and comms setup.
> But you can't do anything with 3483 alone.
>
> Again: The password protection is to have a simple mechanism to keep
> people who are already on your network from fiddling with your players
> and that's what it does.

I'm not up to speed on vpn tunneling even i do it at work with what we
have installed at our work pc's so yes you get a secure tunnel to your
local network that is the optimal solution.

finding software that does it for my server and for example my iPad
would be " something " or maybe router software that does it. I just
haven got hold of enough information to get a clue on where to start
digging for further info.

btw it is not only on your network, i do sometimes portforward the
server outside my network so your all welcome ;) . Here tunneling would
be much better if I manage it, my "security" is that the server holds
only music files ( that are backed up elsewhere ) and nothing personal
at all. I'll then turn of the router
ports after a session, however i find spotify very usefull when
travelling nowdays...

Oh sorry to oftopic maybe, I shall make time to test the new release
this weekend, I'm watching movies now, it can not be music all the time
?

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad