pippin;649606 Wrote:

> Why should port 3483 be password protected? It's only outbound anyway
> except for UDP server discovery which - by principle - can't be
> password protected.

the password protection on port 9000 keeps anyone out that didn't sniff
my network/credentials yet (if we trust the http auth from perl as the
gatekeeper).
As long as I don't use a public hotspot (or my company network ?) to
remote control the server it would be rather difficult for someone to
sniff the traffic and catch my plaintext username+password.

3483 is open for any attempt to take over my server with any error in
the implementation of SlimProto on the serverside. Whoever was
responsible for the SlimProto implementation definitely didn't have
security in his mind. Which makes it quite likely that there will be
flaws.

Hello portscanner, hello buffer overflow, hello my new little SBS army
spam/bot network.

Call me paranoid - my only port to the outside is 22 :)

--
bluegaspode

Did you know: *'SqueezePlayer' (www.squeezeplayer.com)* will stream all
your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? *'Squeezebox + iPad =
SqueezePad ' (www.squeezepad.com)*
Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why
not try my 'Weather Forecast Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73827)
Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my
'Headphone Switcher Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67139)