bluegaspode;661242 Wrote:
> Just to do the math correctly for the Google World:
>
> He had 5000 sales in April 2010 and 10.000 sales in Feb. 2011 (can be
> seen on other sites). So expect him to be at 14.000 right now. (Also
> expect that his daily sales will have drastically dropped since there
> is the free Logitech App).
>
> In Okt. 2009 he released the first version, so he is involved for 2 1/2
> year with this project. Google takes 30% share, German income tax again
> around 30%. Social insurance contributions 20%.
> VAT shouldn't apply for him as I think he configured Google to add it
> to each purchase where applicable.
> Accountant to support his GmbH might be around 3000€ / year, purchasing
> some common test devices one needs for Android development will be
> 1000€.
>
> Even if we don't substract german taxes and social contributions and
> calculate it from his companies point of view:
> 14.000*3€/2,5y*0,7 - 2y*3000€ - 1000€ = 4760€ / year = 400€ / month.
>
> Economically at common rates 400€ justify 4h of development or support
> per month, now much less due to the Logitech App.
>
> If he just paid it out to himself, he'd get around 200€ / month. People
> not working at all in Germany get around 700€ / month ("Hartz 4 +
> Wohngeld").
> ----
>
> Don't want to argue, if it's a good income or not.
> Everyone has to decide for himself, if it's a good decision to stick
> (or start) with Squeezebox App development as a hobby.
> At least one shouldn't try to found a company based on those numbers ;)

I think you also need to consider that the app was on sale for 6euros
at some point, according to the website, also there was a major rewrite
in May - see post #440 - I bought on the back of this and many other
would have done, so potentially would have seen a peak in May.

I guess this is the risk that you take in purchasing an app that the
developer may reprioritise

--
socistep