cunobelinus;664263 Wrote:
> Charging is fine. Charge new customers by all means (or old customers
> who want to add new plug ins) but not for goods already supplied.
> However, if I understand this correctly, the intention is to charge
> retrospectively.
>
> Charging retrospectively for a commodity - any commodity - that was
> initially provided in return for good will or an optional donation is
> at best exploitative, and seems to me to be actually dishonest. The
> initial terms of supply constitute an agreement or contract. Changing
> them retrospectively is at the very least to act in bad faith. I’d be
> surprised if it is not also illegal in pretty much any legal code one
> would care to research.
>

> On 18 Oct 2011, at 16:46, aubuti wrote:
>

> > grzlhmpf;664066 Wrote:
> >> I have donated to quite a few projects in the past and will continue
> >> do so, so i am not opposed to paying and/or donating but i don't
> think
> >> this is going to work.
> > You may think the old approach of depending on voluntary donations
> was
> > working, but apparently it wasn't working for Erland, or he wouldn't
> > have changed it. It's not surprising to me that it wasn't
> sustainable
> > for the author. I'm glad he decided to try giving the commercial
> > approach a go rather than simply deciding to pack it in. Do you
> think
> > that would work better?
> >
> > It's also not surprising that for some users, any price higher than
> > "free" will be too much. But I'm also sure that some new users will
> be
> > sufficiently interested and willing to pay, maybe after they find
> out
> > what the plugins and applets do.
> >

> > --
> > aubuti

> > aubuti's Profile:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=2074
> > View this thread:
> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=90975

Under EU law it is indeed illegal to disable or otherwise distrain or
deprive one of the enjoyment of goods or services that were supplied
previously under one set of terms - in this case "for free" -
UNLESS it was made plain in writing at the time of the original supply
that a defined-cost charge or a defined expiry would become effective
at a defined date in the future.

This is to avoid consumers being held to ransom or "suckered-in".

However, in this case (software) it only applies to a defined version
of the plugin - the last one freely published prior to the introduction
of a notified charge. So while it is perfectly valid to introduce a
charge for new versions, it cannot legally be applied retrospectively.
The consumer ALWAYS has the right to continue to enjoy the old, free
version or CHOOSE to pay for the new version.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1
DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's,
ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus
Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.