Mnyb;669266 Wrote:
> +1 they should not aim at the massmarket, they should aim at to be
> biggest in thier niche .
>
> a product for music nerds and hifi nuts, I'll bet there is 100 time
> more music nerds that hifi nuts and shall we gues that 1/10 hifi nut
> own a squeezebox or a sonos or similar, so they have not come close to
> saturate thier " niche " market .
>
> I always believed that it is possible to expand 10 to 100 times in this
> niche ? this would be profitable enough to support the product.
> I think Logitech would seriusly overeach thier competence if they even
> tried to aproach massmarket in this kind of product. they done it in
> mice and pc speakers ,but I don't think they can with this kind of
> product.
>
> A prerequsite 90% of the population don't have is a serius music
> interest, they just want's a device that " plays something " A little
> effort in ripping and tagging on some serius exploring of the apps
> function for the online services should tweak any music entusiast :)
> but without a real music interest you wont get involved and explore the
> product, You wont be motivated to learn a little bit to get so much more
> back .
>
> and seruisly I find some desktop software harder to use than my whole
> squeezebox system ?
>
> dumbing it down would be a serius mistake , there a lot of products
> that demands a little inital effort to use but loved by thier users .
> some of my colegues are into diving or waterskiing or motorbikes .
> I would find scuba gear waterskiis or offroad motorcycles hard to
> operate and maintain.
> I would have a learning curve if tried thier stuff I would not blame
> the product.

Some very good points.

I want more and SB players give me more - more choice, quicker access,
intro to HiFI/Hi-res etc. etc. - the mass market don't want that. I
think it is probably hard for us SBE's (squeezebox enthusiasts) to get
our head round why joe public wouldn't want a solution as good as
ours.

However with logitech you have generally a mass market company, mice,
keyboards, speakers etc. who bought some niche products - SB, Harmony
and also has struggled with another potentially niche product in the
Revue - there is a conflict in the product make-up

--
socistep