First, note that "Vortexbox" is the software -- a specialized version of
Fedora Linux that is customized to do SBS/LMS and some other things. The
hardware is known as the "Vortexbox Appliance" (VBA). Second, you should
understand that even though it isn't marketed as such, the VBA _is_ a
pc. It uses a low power Intel Atom processor so that it only draws
around 23w, and the Vortexbox software makes it easy to run it
headless, so that many users use it more like a NAS than a pc. My music
server uses the exact same hardware as the VBA, but I installed debian
linux as the OS, so it can work as a general purpose Linux box in
addition to running SBS. Most of the time I run it headless, but when I
feel like it (or need an extra pc) I attach a monitor and keyboard and
away I go.

As for sound quality, I think most people (myself included) will say
there is no difference. Why should there be? It's just another pc/NAS
running SBS. That said, there are some who swear that a server running
Windows sounds better than a server running Linux. Take a look at the
very long "soundcheck's mods" threads for some of the claims that some
people make. I am skeptical to say the least, but I thought I'd mention
it. All the services, internet radio, etc are the same as any other
implementation of SBS/LMS.

As for size of drive, there is the old axiom that the data always
expands to meet the capacity of the hard drive, and that would indicate
you should get the 2TB drive. On the other hand, 200 CDs in FLAC is less
than 100GB. Unless you are planning to go on a binge of CD buying or
music downloading it will be a long time before you fill a 1TB drive.
All hard drives die eventually, and the drive could well go belly up
long before you ever break the 1TB barrier.

Finally, is your current pc such an energy hog that it makes sense to
spend a few hundred $ on a VBA? If it is such a hog, have you
considered using basic power management software and the Server Power
Control plugin to let it go into hibernation or suspend when you're not
playing music from your collection?

Sorry, I can't answer the Q about LMS updates on Vortexbox, but I
understand it works pretty easily.

--
aubuti

Nothing high-end, but music anywhere I want it, and it's '100% wind
powered' (http://www.cleancurrents.com/). 'MSI single-core Atom
mini-desktop'
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167032)
(Debian Lenny 5.0.6) feeding: Living room: SB Touch > 'NAD C325 BEE'
(http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-325BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier?products/hifi-amplifiers/C325BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier)
> 'Vandersteen 1' (http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/1clit.html);
Kitchen/Dining: 'SB2'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20050428023747/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
(http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-2-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6)
(http://www.polkaudio.com/customaudio/rci/index.php?s=rc60i); Basement:
'SB2'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20050428023747/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
> 'JVC JA-S44'
(http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204813) > 'ESS
Tempest LS8'
(http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/205237-ess_tempest_ls_8_speakers/);
Bedroom: Boom; Study: SB Radio; Backyard deck: 'SB Receiver'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20080124175538/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
> 'AudioSource Amp100'
(http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-2-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6)
> 'Polk Atrium 45'
(http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/atrium/index.php#atrium45); Kid's
bedroom: 'SB3'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20051210015952/http://slimdevices.com/)
> 'Klipsch ProMedia 2.0'
(http://www.klipsch.com.cn/na-en/products/promedia-ultra-2-0-overview/);
Roaming controllers: iPod touch with iPeng, 3 'SB Duet'
(http://replay.waybackmachine.org/20080124175538/http://www.slimdevices.com/)
Controllers, 'Nokia N800'
(http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokia-n800-r6); Limbo:one
more 'SBR'