http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_comparison

tbessie;691523 Wrote:

> Have people found the newer hardware to be better in any way?

Some people like the old models and some the new ones.

I like the Touch better than my Classic because of:
- Color screen
- Improved audio quality

Other people like the Classic better than the Touch because of:
- VFD screen (which is easier to see from long distance)
- More customization possibilities

The same comparison for Boom vs Radio would be that:
- Boom have stereo while Radio has mono
- Radio have color screen while Boom has VFD screen
- The sound quality is better on the Boom, because of built-in DSP
processing and stereo support.

The decoding abilities on the newer models are a lot better than the
older models, this means that they have support for more native formats
and doesn't require the server to do the transcoding. However, from a
system perspective, the older models still support the file formats
it's just that the server has to work a bit more.

I would personally recommend the newer models because I think they are
a little bit more future proof than the older ones, but there will
probably be other people which recommend the older models.

>From my perspective, I think you can think like this:
- If you would have recommended a Classic for a specific room, you can
safely recommend a Touch
- If you would have recommended a Boom for a specific room, you can
recommend a Radio if the room doesn't need stereo support. If the room
can benefit from stereo support a Touch with separate active speakers
might be a better solution. It's the Boom that doesn't have a good
replacement among the newer models.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))
Interested in music discovery ? See 'Social Music Discovery (SMD)'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=656713) project.