Thanks a lot for all your valuable feedback and suggestions. First thing
to note is that we are not talking about objective truth but about
personal preferences. What is best for me now might not be the optimal
in the future and it might not be your choice. Secondly, I was not
asking which device is better as this strongly depends on the previous
note. People always tend to defend their own solution to minimize
cognitive dissonance. I had multiple discussions with friends
explaining the value of my Squeezeboxes while some argued in favor of
Sonos or Apple TV. What I really intended with this thread was finding
missing arguments for myself. And I got these. Thanks! This is what
I've learned from your comments:

1. Hardware form factor: I currently own three Squeezebox Classics. I
rarely if ever use the remote but operate these using iPeng. Therefore,
in my case it does not make a difference firing up iPeng for Squeezebox
or Apple Remote for Apple TV. However, I once had a Boom and
interaction with it was different. I used the knobs and buttons. I sold
the Boom later on due to lack of real Stereo. The newest devices, Touch
and Radio, are appealing with respect to user interaction. (thanks
bluegaspode). I consider the display on the Classic as not really being
beneficial. My houses rooms are rather large and I cannot read it from
most places.

2. Multi-Room setup: While you can stream to multiple AirPlay enabled
devices like Apple TV at once, it is not possible to play different
tracks on these devices. Synchronization between devices is also poor
compared to Squeezeboxes accurate timing. If I had this requirement now
as I had in my previous house, I would most definitly keep the
Squeezebox setup.

3. The user community: I was wondering why no one explicitly stated
this point. I really cannot think of another online communities this
helpful and responsive!

I finally decided to give up on Squeezebox to simplify my setup. Should
my requirements change again in the future my first stop will be at
Squeezebox technology again.

Naturally a lot of you have commented on my impression of Apple TVs
superior sound quality. I would not have believed this myself taken
that audio conversion is said to be done technically more accurate on
the Squeezebox. First of all I usually do hear slight differences
between lossy and lossless formats. Most often it is either that I can
hear more instruments with lossless formats (especially at both ends of
the hearable frequency spectrum) or that the spatial configuration of
sounds/ instruments is better distinguishable. The difference between
Squeezeboxes and Apple TVs sound is on another scale. It is also only a
slight difference and it concerns the atmosphere of the sound: its
fresher, more vivid and better moving. It reminds me of discussions and
experience I had when buying good headphones. I could clearly hear the
difference very expensive Sennheisers made. But these were not made for
me. I felt disconnected from the music. I'm not an analytical listener
as I'm doing enough analytics throughout the day. Music needs to move
my soul somehow, it is about evoking different kinds of emotion. My
statement was all about this. I would not deny that Squeezeboxes
rendering might be more correct. And if you are an analytical listener
you might hear the same difference but come to the opposite judgement.

And here are some notes to questions:
* erland: Apple TV can be operated completly without TV if one wishes
to by either using AirPlay from other devices or by using the Apple
Remote app. You are also free to use your iOS device while streaming.
* pski and andynormancx: It took me some time to get used to but with
iTunes DJ (and playlists in general) you can decide what to hear next
without interrupting the current song. With iTunes DJ you can even
compete with your friends or family members on what to hear next if you
wish to provoke some bad mood ;-)
* pski: With respect to remote streaming you should not exclude iTunes
Match. A fairer comparison would be to also exclude dyndns services as
well when excluding iTunes Match. However, I don't have a need for
either service as my iPhone holds enough favorites for getting a party
going as well as enough albums I like to explore.
* pippin, verypsb, services: My oldest is also my main device, a 4
years old iMac. I've never had any trouble with any Apple hardware. I
had this with Squeezebox Server and I consider myself technically
talented as I've done system maintenance and programming for some time
(I'm a scientist). It is exactly stuff like weird filename characters,
broken iTunes connection or the server going to sleep while playing I
was talking about. I've never encountered any unfixable bugs but it
took time to fix. I'd like to spend my time for other things. I guess
peoples personal experience shapes their attitude. I hated iTunes as
well years ago when using it on a Windows machine.
* sc53: Audiophile = An individual who is very interested and
enthusiastic about the sound quality of a stereo or home theater
system. As stated my library consists of both lossless and lossy
formats. The reason of which is mainly that for some musical styles I
really do not hear a difference or the difference is insignificant. If
you do love listening to music your most important concern besides
listening is getting the sound YOU like most. In fact I really do want
to hear what the artist intended me to hear. However, there are
situations when the sound technicians preference is not mine. In those
cases I even use an EQ to adjust sound which no true audiophile would
do according to your definition, right ;-)

--
-tm-