> One of the previous threads (had) suggested - if I recall correctly -
> that M4a is served to the player losslessly and that, if PCM was used, a
> wireless-connected player might struggle. But since the file doesn't
> play through Squeezeplay, either, on a wired PC, I think I've a
> more-serious problem.

Since you are using an SBR (Reciver not Radio), it cannot play
AAC/MP4/M4A natively and so LMS uses faad/flac to transcode m4a
(actually AAC as m4a is the file not audio format) into a Flac stream
(i.e lossless) and the lossless Flac is sent to SBR .  Squeezeplay is
similar and so you have the same problem with both players - faad cannot
decode the file.  If you can replace your faad with the version from
7.7.2 , it might fix the problem but I have a nagging feeling that there
is still a group of m4a file which cannot be  players because of the m4a
file structures (e.g. indexes are at the end of the file)

> I'm happy to try to transcode it to, say, Mp3/320. I think I'll search
> for transcoding and see how to do that.
You'd  better to tranmscode to Flac - trhat way you won't be losing any
qualoity - VLC should be able to do this.