I have in active duty:

1 x Transporter (main device)

1 x Duet

2 x Booms

2 x Controllers (counting the one that's part of the Duet), plus the
controller app for my BlackBerry tablet

I have as spares:

1 x Receiver (part of a Duet, but the Controller is being used with the
Transporter and Booms)

1 x Boom (still in the box, has a Europe plug but if one of my existing
Booms dies I will use its plug)

1 x Touch (bought months ago, still in the box)

1 x Touch en route (bought earlier this week from TigerDirect, the
lowest online price I could find)

1 x Controller (bought from Logitech Canada when they had a clearance
sale about a year ago)

I think I will set up all four of my boxed spares (2 Touch, 1 Boom, 1
Controller) with current firmware, and then rebox.  Mind you, I might
set up a Touch to replace the current Duet that's sees occasional use in
the very basic home theatre setup, and then keep that Receiver as a
spare.  I'd use the Controller (from the Duet) with the Touch.

After an initial bout of mild panic and distress, I'm getting more
sanguine about the situation.  I personally seldom use the streaming
services (although I do very much like the CBC Music service, which is
mostly linked from the Internet Radio presets).  It's my ripped library
that I value.

I also am quite sure that I can't see the future, other than to
acknowledge that things WILL change.  Maybe I'll become a champion of
the cloud, and love cloud-based music.  Hard to see, but even five years
ago I didn't foresee where I am now with server-based music.

R.