I was referring to the hardware players.  Hardware sales paid for LMS
development and support.  Take away the income stream, relying solely on
subscriptions to have/use LMS, and I think you will find a very small
percentage of willing contributors.  If everything is open source,
players & software, there is little incentive to voluntarily pay for
such items.  Add in the very small amount you could charge those few
contributors and the problem magnifies itself.

I've seen a number of posts moaning over paying $10 for a lifetime use
of the great iPeng app.  That would be a large chunk of your customer
base.   ;)