garym wrote:
> I can see that possibility. But can a jailbroken apple tv 2 run full LMS
> program?  I think we're talking about two different things. I'm talking
> about a computer that can run LMS (and also be a player perhaps by
> running squeezeplay, etc.).  Seems like the apple example is something
> that can be a player and run limited software (squeezeslave), but might
> struggle to run fullblown LMS.  I'm happy to be wrong here (I'm just
> trying to clarify what the apple tv 2 can do in terms of being a small
> computer, like a fitpc2, sheevaplug, small NAS, etc.).

After years of dev with SB and Slimserver, the ultimate product was
according to us the "Black box" from logitech.
Why :

1/ Cost effective
2/ Simple to intergrate
3/ Small Size
4/ Reliable software and harware with very accurate music synch results
(cat5 linked / around 15ms) Way far better than any othe device on the
market... tried a lot.
5/ No display... no more remote control.
6/ A very simple & sexy UI for : player / remote / server
7/ Having a player (media renderer) software "clone" to put on any
already existing PC or compatible device... a jointventure with AV
receiver, DVD Players, TV (Cable & SAT) STB, Smart TV .... Companies
would be a must...
8/ In 2012 maybe it is time now to consider a built in video & image
player also ?

The closest product on the market, wether we like it or not (please
avoid affective or religious considertaion :o) is the ATV2.

Why all those 7 points so important :

1/ around a 100 $/€ is a max, occording to the fact that you want to put
one in almost every room (so consider the whole home price for players)
2/ Plug and Play is nowdays the only way (think for the very important
WAF point to be consider in home use)
3/ If want to put one behind a TV, an AV receiver, a Stereo... it as to
be small and minimum heat
4/ The accurency of the synch (for music only, forget real video
synch... to many network problems) is very important and a good
marketing seller point.
5/ No display at all. Even the simple LCD display of the original
squeezebow where the weakness of the product (as logitech kept same
harware, it is the same with logitech devices). With the low price of
any smart phone, tablets, smart TVs.... a remote software can show
informations on any device and forget the remote... IR remote is
expensive, you need to face the product, the range is short... Radio
remotes are expensive... even apple kept on IR remote which is nice, but
useless in most cases...
6/ One of the most important thing to me is defineitly UI.

- UI 1 : The Server...
* Aminstraion & Organise system and Plist
* If possible, concentrate a copy of any Multimedia file on the network
with compatible devices. (the server would be a major back up for
multimedia files at home... audio, private video, recorded TV
programs....)
* Having Multiple User accounts for each players, in order for different
members in the family to give different "stars" to the same files, and
having each their own Plist...
* Create "Collections" ( For exemple i want to regroup all "Cafe del Mar
Albulms into a "Collection" or All James Bond Movies ...)
* Manage your AV files with the possibility to have multiple "file
sources"... a tool to optimize tags and rename, automated search for
name, art and tags
* A tool to give the rights to the players (Public or Private) on the
network, and the restrictions of use (for example, forbiden synch of
player N° 2 & N°7)... forbiden video for player N°6.... Users & Player
rights -- Player N°12 private to user "Bill"

- UI 2 : The Remote / Would be great to have 2 Levels ... Once you have
selected the player - AREA to control
° Level 1    Simply select music / Plist / artist... Chose 1 or many
(Zones) Players / volume .. Play ...Pause...
° Level 2 :  Advance file search, Create Manage Plist and Tags... /
Manage Players.... Create SCENARIOS for Synch Zones : AREA (Ex: "All 1
Floor" = Room1 + Room2...)

- UI 3 : The Player : Go straight to the Level 2 Remote software.

7/ Many of us (all i think :o) have already PCs, Smart Phone, name it
electronic devices ..... wouldnt it be glad to turn some is usefull
equipement, with having a software version of the palyer (with a warning
on the synch accurency results) in order to turn for exemple and old
ipod touch or laptop into a Player...
Having this soft straight built in into a AV receiver or a STB would be
a must.

8/ No need to say in 2012, all devices fills our disc memories with Gb
of Music, but also Pictures, Videos, Web Radios links, Podcast..... Some
day, i will no longer want to have 3 or devices connected to my TV, my
Stereo & or my AV Receiver. I will want ONE with the interface, icons,
navigations... i am used to in order to diplay, play, show, render....
any kind of media files i have....

Regards

Alexandre.