azinck3 wrote:
> You're not going to be able to use the amps built into the Booms to
> drive any speakers besides the speakers in the Booms.  Taking into
> account that the amps and signal processing built into the Booms are
> very specifically designed for the speakers in the Booms, that you'd
> have to disassemble the Booms to make this work, and that you can get a
> used SB3 + an amp (like a T amp) for less than the cost of a Boom
> anyway, it's just a bad idea all-around.
>
> You don't necessarily need 5 "big" amps; as has been mentioned.  We
> don't know much about the speakers you're trying to drive in each zone,
> but assuming you don't need tons of power (since you were considering
> using the amps in a Boom for this) a T amp like this might be a good
> solution:
> http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=310-300&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla&utm_term=%7Bkeyword%7D
>
> Alternatively, if you're running mono sound in each zone, you could
> potentially pick up a used 5-channel receiver with pre-amp inputs and
> use 1 channel per zone.  You could probably pick up something like that
> for $100 on ebay.  Maybe less.  You should talk to your installer about
> how many speakers you want to drive in each zone and how you'll need to
> wire them together to present an appropriate load to whatever amp you
> might choose to use.
>
> As for the sources: I'd recommend just buying 5 squeezebox 3's or 2's.
> They'll cost you about $120/each on eBay.  Alternatively, gary's
> suggestion of a Vortexbox might not be a bad one. I don't know much
> about what audio hardware a Vortexbox comes with (and there doesn't seem
> to be a whole lot of info online) but I'll take gary's word for it if he
> says it comes with sufficient hardware to drive 5 discrete stereo pairs.
> Note that going the Vortexbox route would still require amps and would
> probably be fussier for you if you're not too computer savvy.

Yea boom even have a digital cross over so it's one amp for each driver
treble and bass and some eq on top off that and limitation and tailoring
bass roll of vs volume to protect the speakers.
If one has a whole closet looks don't matter you can get a bunch of used
or new 2ch amps and some of these class d amps don't cost much at all .
The in wall speakers what are they.

But ffs if one is building a whole house saving a 0.01$ to have an all
crap sound solution :) is not my cup of tea , I think I can't contribute
constructively to this .