mhh. I think there are 2 versions of netcat in existence and they behave
slightly differently when it comes to end of lines.

Perhaps something like this would work better for you:  echo -e
"serverstatus\nexit\n" | netcat localhost 9090  . I am not sure.
But anyway, it looks like the server is fine, that's a good start.

(BTW, all the %3A, %20 and so on you get on return are normal, the
server url-encodes characters. %3A is ":", %20 is " " and so on (The
ASCII code for ":" is 3A in hexadecimal notation. Grab an ASCII table
and you can work your way around. Or use an escaping/unescaping lib. Or
use json.)