erland wrote:
> My crystal ball tells me that the following will happen (sometime in the
> not too distant future):
> 1. Some critical problem occurs that makes LMS more or less useless for
> a lot of users
> 2. One of the following will happen:
> - Logitech steps up and shows that they really meant what they said when
> they said they are still supporting Squeezebox users, fixes the problem
> and makes us all happy.
> or
> - Someone in the community creates a community version of LMS and fixes
> the problem.
> or
> - Another company provides a solution with similar functionality as
> Squeezeboxes and we all switch to that.
>
> Personally, I feel that the last alternative is most likely on longer
> terms

I think the community alternative is just as likely - either as a
fork/development of the current code base, or as a complete rewrite. The
actual code is not really the problem (especially if using a real
programming language :) ), the hard part is figuring out the protocol,
and we already have that.