epoch1970 wrote:
> I have tried many things… To me this is an extremely complex topic, I've
> been turning dials at random so let's not consider I have the final say.
> I wouldn't say it is drifting, it's more like I can't get both to align
> perfectly on the same tick. I won't try synching 2 sw players, my other
> Alix is performing its regular job as a router!
>
> Yesterday I compiled a linux kernel with real-time extensions. This
> should be the end of any drifting, according to this OS. After applying
> this: http://subversion.ffado.org/wiki/IrqPriorities I still can hear
> some echo.
> The machine is a bit unstable, I have squeezelite locking up if it is
> set to a higher priority than SBS (this happens to me on non-RT kernels
> too), and a high priority SBS means using the web GUI interrupts music…
>
> So I'm just starting to find out if this setup can perform better than
> my non-RT one (which works well, as said above.)
>
> My kernel is compiled with rt-preempt, 1000Hz tick (tickless disabled),
> no power management. Uname: Linux prades 2.6.33.7.2-rt30rt-1khz-nopm #1
> PREEMPT RT Fri Jan 11 23:54:25 CET 2013 i586
> The RT kernel comes from pengutronix.de, they have debian repos.
> The only shared IRQ is between usb1.1 and usb2.0, and there is no usb1.1
> device connected.
> The audio card is a cheap C-media dongle, this one has usb2 when my
> regular V-Dac mk 1 doesn't.
> I invoke squeezelite as this: chrt -f 65 /usr/local/bin/squeezelite-pa
> -n Prades -b 16384:16384  -o front:CARD=default,DEV=0 -a 10:4  -z
> 172.17.255.87 (I think you can disregard the -b option, and I'd like to
> try -a 5:4 next and see if the system can follow.)
> I am synching an SB3 and the alix, in the same room. The sources are
> about 5 m apart.
>
> Right now I need to recover from the last lockup ;) and continue testing
> on highly syncopated music, but I am almost certain this setup cannot
> work the same as the hw players. I have another SB3 hooked to my V-Dac
> where squeezelite is located, I can compare easily.
> It's getting very, very close, mind you. The value of Triode's
> contribution is exceptional.
> But I'm ready to admit we were not giving good people good money for
> nothing, and that the linux pc-based $30 Transporter is a dream.

There's a fundamental difference between usb audio and hardware players
with tuned device drivers - that is what current delay does alsa report
for the device.  In the case of the hardware players I believe its well
tuned and accurate as Logitech could focus on tuning their own device
drivers.  In the case of usb-audio it depends on the version of alsa
(more recent alsa kernel drivers have more code in this area, but I've
not tested) + any buffering in the device which linux will know nothing
about.  The recent usb-audio code appears to think it knows when the
latency is less than 2m and will log otherwise, but I would want to try
multiple versions and also there will be an uncertainty due to the
device which must do some level of buffering.