erland wrote:

> I guess the situation is going to be different in 5-10 years when we
> start to get universal remote control apps for smart phone/tablets which
> can control multiple devices, but before that happens IR remotes like
> the Harmony line will still have a future.

You don’t need to wait that long for such apps.
I used Red Eye and Beacon (the latter is a piece of crap by the way).
Both of these are capable of remote controlling different type and brand
of equipment. Both have IR learning capabilities too. They work very
much like the Harmony remotes. Yet, the hardware remote works a lot
better in my hand for the reasons already mentioned.