JohnSwenson wrote:
> So now we should probably start thinking about Gen1 details, such
> physical size, what case (these two go together. SWAMP05 wound up being
> 4.3" x 3.6". I don't see Gen1 being any smaller. There are a lot of
> connectors to put on it, so I don't think my original idea of 4x3 with
> the 3 as the back edge with the connectors working, it just isn't going
> to fit. If we put the connectors on the long side (as I did in SWAMP05)
> the smallest dimension it can be is 4", the smallest the other could
> then be is about 3.5". They could be larger.

Personally, I see no advantage to the end user to making the board as
small as possible, other than perhaps cost.

> Based on previous discussions I think I'm going to put a USB hub on the
> board, so we will have 4 USB type A jacks, even with stacking that takes
> up a lot of room for full size jacks. I envision two stacks of two
> jacks. I was thinking originally of doing two USB with an RJ45, but now
> we have 4, AND the 2USB-1RJ45 don't have builtin magnetics for the
> Ethernet. So I'm looking at two stacks of two USB, single Ethernet by
> itself, stacked RCA jacks, TOSLINK, HDMI and DC power.

Did you forget coax S/PDIF?

One thing I'd like you to consider is the possibility of allowing some
easy end user mods, including upgrading the RCA connectors. Do the
stacked RCA connectors lend themselves to that?

What about a physical power switch and a reset switch? I'd expect a
reset switch to be on the back of the unit, so it would  probably need
to be on the board itself. For power, a switch header that could be
extended by cable to the front of the case would be nicer, but if
necessary it too could also be on the back and directly on the board.