GRC wrote:
> Hi all.  There are many good thing said about VortexBox on this forum
> and I like what I read about it, so I'm interested to see if I'm missing
> out on something by at least not running the software.  Here's my
> current setup:-
>
> My LMS server is an Asus EeePC 1005HA netbook with Atom N270 processor,
> 2GB DDR2 RAM and a 1TB internal drive (upgrade).  It is cabled to my
> "master" Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 router and runs Windows 7 Home Premium,
> Avast anti-virus, Internet Explorer, LMS and not much else.  My library
> is currently around 400GB with about 28,000 songs.  The Asus sits
> quietly in a corner, closed unless I want to use the display to see
> what's playing, initiate a rescan, etc.
>
> I rip CDs to FLAC (using dBpoweramp) or download files on a desktop Acer
> Z5610 Windows 7 machine which hosts my "master" database and is
> regularly backed up (Windows backup) to an external SATA disk stored
> off-site.  I use MediaMonkey Gold to tag and organise my files on the
> Acer (and even to listen while I'm working on the PC), then FreeFileSync
> or FolderMatch to copy things across to the Asus once a week or so.  I
> use iPad apps or the standard web interface to control the server as
> necessary.
>
> The Asus server feeds a hard-wired SB2, wireless SB3, wireless Touch,
> wireless Boom and a wireless Radio through three additional Buffalo
> routers configured as bridges to give me a good signal wherever I want
> music, usually synced to the same stream.
>
> I listen to some internet radio streams but don't do Pandora, Spotify,
> etc.; I don't have any hardware mods, LMS apps or plug-ins (apart from
> the basics) and have not yet ventured into Triode territory.
>
> Now I admit this is not an elegant "one-box" solution like VortexBox
> since it uses things I already had, but it works (mostly!) and I
> understand it.
>
> So what am I missing that VortexBox could give me?  Please note this is
> NOT a VortexBox criticism; if I didn't already have some "old" hardware
> lying around I may well have gone down that route. Should I look at the
> software?
>
> Thanks in advance for any observations from a wet and windy (and
> bankrupt) little country.

I was running LMS on a Vista Pro Dual-core 3Ghz with 3GB of memory.
Performance was lousy. I run Vortexbox now in a VMWare Workstation
virtual machine with 384MB of memory and the performance is outstanding.
I actually run two copies: one for in the house and one pointed to the
outside world (on different sub-nets.)

I had even setup and run LMS from an in-memory virtual disk (Bond Disc)
but the Linux Votexbox is vastly faster.

Banned