cliveb wrote:
> I've only ever used the Pi as a player, not a server. What I can confirm
> is that the quality of the built-in audio output is pretty poor.
> Distortion and noise are unacceptable. I use mine with a Muse PCM2704
> USB-to-SPDIF converter feeding an old QED Digit DAC, and it works fine
> that way.
>
> You mention stuttering as well as distortion. If it is genuinely
> dropping samples then perhaps it's simply a case of the Pi running out
> of steam when you try to run LMS and Squeezelite together? The Pi is a
> very low power device, after all. One way to check this would be to try
> shutting down LMS on the Pi and trying it as just a Squeezelite player
> from another LMS on your network.

The Pi built in audio has NO DAC.  It uses pulse width modulation of
pins in software to create an approximation of an audio signal.
Recently this was improved a little with some kernel changes.  In order
to get good audio, it either a USB or I2S solution required.  Many
developers have achieved good results now that the kernel patches fof
correct USB operation have been done.  Google Raspyfi for an insight
into PI audio activities.