mikeh49 wrote:
> Couple of things:
>
> If you want a static ip on your desktop, you need to set the address
> outside the range of dhcp addresses that the router assigns.  For my
> Linksys router, the dhcp addresses start at 192.168.1.100.  Anything
> less than 100 can be used for static.  For static on the desktop, you
> need to manually set the address, the gateway (router) address, the
> subnet mask (255.255.255.0), and the DNS addresses.  You can get those
> from the router admin settings.  Or use public DNS servers, Google has
> some, but they will probably serve you ads based on what you look at.  I
> don't think it is essential to have a static ip for the server, but it
> is better to always know where it is.
>
> For the Squeezebox:
>
> Here is my Net::UDP output, without the wireless stuff (all are
> irrelevant):
>

> Explanations in bold.  I'm thinking the server addresses and name are
> dynamic, and if you could see this with the SB running, you would see
> the address and name of the server that is currently connected.  Note
> that the SB and server addresses are outside the dhcp range of the
> router, <100.

hoorah! i realised what the mistake what was, after chatting with a
friend now.

the static IP command-line is not for the desktop or the device which
has squeezecenter on it with static IP, BUT to assign static IP to the
SBC! elated to tell you that LMS detected my player quickly in this mode
too now!

now 3 objectives achieved today - player detected in wired-DHCP mode,
player detected in wired-static IP mode, and the 3rd being, i found a
technician who is ready to inspect the SBC's display (i will be shipping
my SBC to him tomorrow)!

so the command-line that i used now was:

-set interface=1 lan_ip_mode=0 lan_gateway=_192.168.1.1_
lan_network_address=_192.168.1.200_ lan_subnet_mask=255.255.255.0
primary_dns=_192.168.1.1_ squeezecenter_address=_192.168.1.101_-

where,

-192.168.1.1 --> is my router's gateway address-

-192.168.1.200 --> is a random IP-address that i assigned to the SBC as
its static IP address-

-set the primary dns as my router's gateway itself-

-squeezecenter address is the IP address of the machine on which
squeezecenter is loaded, in this case, my desktop.-

many thanks to both of you, and my sincere apologies to bother you
through my last goof-up of a post!
the tougher task now remains, to configure it for wireless-connection.
however, am now very less bothered about it, as can now use my NAS and
the SBC, both wired, connected to my router through 2 LAN cables
simultaneously!
but still, would give the wireless-configuration my shot anyway!