Richie Wrote:
> I think you underestimate peoples ability. Slimserver doesn't require
> any more skill than any other piece of software I've installed. In
> fact it's easier to use in my opinion. My first SB1 was up and running
> within ten minutes of taking it out of the box. No fiddling or
> tweaking necessary. I can't see it getting much easier.Richard

But that's my point, we aren't average consumers, we're technically
able - we're on a forum for the product after all. If I had given an SB
to my wife or any of my non-technical friends, they would have insisted
that someone install it (like my mum did with here Freeview box) or
taken it back to the store and bought something else that just plugged
in. They don't like installing software or anything that makes them
make decisions!

OK, I'll come clean - I'm the CTO of a software company that builds
consumer products - games for mobile phones. They have to be dead
simple to use and installation has to be almost unnoticeable apart from
agreeing to install it. *Any* complication and the user doesn't install
the game. We also build software for the handsets themselves. Any bugs
and you're looking at a huge product recall, it just mustn't happen.

Our audience is the the main stream audience. Computer geeks and hard
core gamers will tinker to get things working, not my mum or my wife or
the average buyer.

My only point was that unless it is completely idiot proof and
transparently easy to use and set up (i.e fully automatic, no asking
for IP addresses, network names - anything), it's not for the majority
of people, only technically savvy ones. That's all, no comment on the
product apart from that.

Paul

--
CardinalFang