bobertuk wrote:
> Sorry, I should have explained a bit more...
>
> No intention to connect a DAC through USB - I have a co-ax/optical Lavry
> DA-10.  It's purely for an external HDD connection. I have an Icy Dock
> 3.5inch HDD enclosure which has a USB 3 and eSATA connection and wish to
> be able to use it with Wandboad. I know USB 3 is USB 2 compatible but I
> think USB 2 is a bit slow for data transfer. I think I can rig up a
> connection using a SATA to eSATA cable but USB would be a cleaner
> solution.
>
> I suppose it's just because I have an HDD enclosure that's capable of
> higher data transfer speeds and would like to be able to use it :)
>
> Bob

You definitely want the quad version, the optical S/PDIF on the dual is
not implemented correctly. If disk transfer rate is really that critical
you will be better off with  a SATA to eSATA adapter and run your disk
off that.

I'm still not sure what your usage is that requires the maximum transfer
rate the drives are capable of. Playing music, even 24/192 doesn't come
close to using the USB2 rate. Is it just for copying files to the drive
from some other drive over ethernet? Or are you going to be doing some
form of processing on the Wandboard and need the speed for that?

If it's transferring files over ethernet you are still running a 1Gb
ethernet which is not all that much faster than USB2, so even if you go
the eSATA route it will not be much faster.

To get faster than that you will HAVE to run your drive directly into a
computer with the fast drive you are copying from so you can take
advantage of the faster USB3 or eSATA interface.

You certainly COULD plug an eSATA drive and  a USB drive into the
Wandboard and copy that way, but you would almost certainly get better
performance using a modern high speed computer instead.

John S.