MarkusE wrote:
> LastFM has obviously got some features I'm afraid the other "smart
> radios" don't have. A steadily growing music library in parts with quite
> unknown artists, developed by recommendations, "loved songs" at other
> stations and shared songs in a huge network. Now I have 500 favorite
> tracks and 650 artists in my music collection. I don't have any clue,
> how I could transfer them to another station.

Yep, this is not good for you and others. (and I myself am quite fond of
the scrobbling feature....I have fun seeing the history of what I play
from almost all the different sources I play from).  But this does point
out that depending on cloud services for music is "dangerous" for anyone
seeking any sort of permanency in their music library/collection.
Services come and go, things that used to exist within a service
disappear, etc.

I wouldn't bet much that *any* of the current services have any long
term life in them. Yes, there will always be some sort of significant
streaming services (like a Spotify, Beats, iTunes, Grooveshark, Last.FM,
etc.). But there will be shakeups, mergers, buyouts, etc. And even if
something survives (e.g., MOG), it may be combined with other services
(BEATS) that removes some users ability to use in the same way.
Something like iTunes or Google may last the longest (but I'm an old
guy, and I'd never predicted the demise of Kodak for example).

For me, I love the flexibility of streaming services for travel, etc.
and the ability to explore new music and test out new releases. But for
my *real* music collection. I own it, rip it, and back it up to lots of
locations.

*Location 1:* VortexBox 4TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Location 2:* VBA 3TB (2.2) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom,
Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
*Office:* Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > SqueezePlay
*Spares:* VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
*Controllers:* iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or
SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Streaming - Spotify