I've done some progress and moved to
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?102203-uPNP-control-point.
It will take me probably a lot of time to have a first decent version
and then continue and polishing. I'd like to have opinions here. I can
focus on a few things, not in order

1- Synchronisation (very challenging) or at least simultaneous playback
start
2- Perfect gateway: most of the command on SB are on SO, including when
volume is changed on SO, it is forwarded to SB/LMS. That would also
include metadata exchanges
3- Audio quality : more transcoders on the fly (I don't like that), or
use or replaygain and cross fade
4- configurability : how to setup the system and decide which uPNP
machine can have a SB "buddy" and possibility to have parameters
different for each pair
5- Stability

A PoC version is available - cross finger it will not do bad on your PC
:-)