mooblie wrote:
> However, you don't need -speed- for music playback do you?

Exactly. Disk I/O is not a bottleneck during playback, even if three or
four devices are playing simultaneously.

> more reliable: ??
> uses less power: possibly.

Probably no more reliable, although the points of failure of an SSD are
somewhat different. E.g., it is more robust than a hard disk against
mechanical impact, but less reliable when it comes to firmware (there
are numerous cases where faulty SSD firmware caused data loss).

> (If you do end up with a 3.5" spinner - WD -Red- range are  recommended
> for NASes.)
I second that.

epoch1970 wrote:
> Seek times are radically different between rotating drives and SSD. If
> you're in the habit of scanning your DB every day or zapping playlists
> on a whim then an SSD could make a difference.

Rescans are pretty fast. (Unless, for some strange reason, you need
complete rescans regularly.) And besides, why not schedule rescans for
when you are sleeping or at work?

> If you write/erase a lot on your drives then you can wear an SSD down,
> although it is every unlikely.

Very unlikely indeed. The amount of data is just way too low if music is
stored on the SSD. Wearing out the flash memory is even less likely than
in other workloads (e.g., OS on the SSD, a SQL database on the SSD).

> Spinning drives do have reliability issues. These days I tend to replace
> drives every 2 years.

What a huge waste of resources. The chance that a drive dies within the
next minute is not much different for a two-year old drive than for a
brand-new drive. Even after four or five years of usage, HDD failure
rates increase only modestly.

Backup is essential. Replacement of perfectly good drives is not a
backup strategy. It's also not a strategy to guarantee uptime (once
again, failure rates of brand-new HDDs aren't that much lower). Besides,
replacement of HDDs will not protect you against user errors (e.g.,
accidental deletions of data), malware, or the like.

If you need 24/7 uptime, go for a RAID (replace drives when they fail or
when it's time to upgrade the entire RAID). But RAID is no backup,
either. For backup purposes, store the data regularly, ideally keeping
at least one backup off-line and off-site.