Sorry for not being clear, to try and eliminate as much as I could, I
have two identical Pi's, the working one and non working one, no DAC
just using the headphone for testing, same SD card.  So try it in the
working pi all fine, then swap the same sd card to the non working pi,
use the same power supply,  same Ethernet cable, same switch port as
before and it drops out every time.

So this eliminates the SD card, OS, switch port, Ethernet cable, no DAC
used, only leaves the pi?

Whilst I have been thinking about it, when I started building my rig, I
do remember one of the blog posts saying I should upgrade the firmware
of the pi, and to be honest I cannot remember if I did them all, so I
will go through this proves on the non working one, see if I missed one,
only thing I could think of?  Hopefully get round to it on Saturday.