bpa wrote:

> I have created a new version of ClassicFM plugin - V2.0 with No screen
> scraping and no Flash.
>
> The menu has
> * live stream at 128k MP3
> * live stream at 48kb AAC.
> * Listen Again
>
> Listen Again lists all the shows that are currently available.
>
> ClassicFM seems to use streamed MP4 (48kbit AAC codec) as the default
> for Apps. Streamed MP4 supports skipping ahead / back.   However
> undocumented ClassicFM seems to also supports MP3 at 128kb and AAC at
> 48kb but without skipping.  Plugin is set to use MP3 128kb on
> installation.
>
> I'm not sure if this plugin is of interest but if it is then perhaps
> next version could add
> 1. Proper support for stream Mp4 with skipping
> 2."what's playing now " with image for Live streams.
>

> To install the plugin - add this repository link below to the
> repositories at the bottom of LMS Settings/Plugins page.  The ClassicFM
> v2 line should appear in a new 3rd party repsoitory at the bottom of
> Settings/Plugins. Install ClassicFM v2 as per any othe rplugin.
> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/bpaplugins/classicfm-repo.xml

<astonishment/>

Extraordinary.  There are some very clever people around this forum,
very supportive, and unsparing of their time.

</astonishment>

Added the repository, restarted SBS, and Classic FM v2 automatically
appeared in the list of 'Active' plug-ins, with a tick in its checkbox.
So, on installation, it seems to find the old plug-in, remove it, and
install itself.  Checked its 'settings' and 128kbps MP3 is ticked.

Switched on the SB Touch, selected
- Internet Radio
- Classic FM v2
- Listen again
- Nick Bailey's Hall of Fame transmission from Monday

Saint Saens Organ Symphony.  A perfect baptism for the plug-in.

Simply brilliant.

The family think so, too.

So, the feedback here is that installation and operation seem ok.  I did
fail to get Squeezeplay (on W Vista) to work with it - that was my first
test while I was still at my desk.  (But Squeezeplay here uses a much
slower downlink than the Touch and SBS do (512kbps, not normally used
for Internet Radio) so it may actually have been working, but simply
failing to receive its data promptly enough.  Squeezeplay just displayed
'Connecting' for around 4 mins.  I'll check that again in the morning,
when that link is usually giving faster response times, it's a pretty
poor response right now so I don't think it means there's an issue with
Squeezeplay and the plug-in.)

Skipping would be good especially on long programmes such as Classic FM.
Skipping is handy if we're interrupted and, perhaps, have to stop
listening and switch off.  Later, or the next day, it would be good to
skip through to the start again of the piece, which could easily be 90
mins or so after the beginning of the programme and would save waiting
for an hour or so to pass before being able to begin to hear the piece
again.  Are you thinking that skipping might be possible on the 128MP3
Listen Again stream?

On live broadcasts, ClassicFM's website shows what specific piece is
playing.  Do you think that information is also encoded in the (live)
stream?  Or is the 'What's Playing' information only sort of 'This is
Nick Bailey on Classic FM', ie, static throughout the programme?

Tides ebb, and flow, but it's risen fast, today.
regards, Atlantic