Backups to servers outside of your control mean that your data is no
longer in your control. If you don't control it, you don't own it.

I back up everything from all my home computers (my three, wife's two)
as incremental backups to my own server, nightly. Weekly, the server
gets backed up to another location, secure and physically offsite but
still on my property and within my control. Data from phones (not much,
but sometimes some photos & stuff) gets backed up on the weekend or when
I figure it's necessary. All data is on physical media that belong to
me, and that I can control access to. That's a personal policy for me: I
retain all control and access to my property, and I don't plan on
changing that policy.